Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Wiseman



I went to an old Wiseman to seek his counsel. “Oh possessor of the keys of knowledge, what path in life should I take? I know there are many ways to take in life, but only one that is worthy. Tell me what direction I should take,” I said.

He razed his ancient head and smiled at me and said, “Come and sit at the feet of your master young grasshopper and rest in peace for the time of knowledge is at hand.” I did as he bid me to do and sat next to him at the fire.

The journey was long to his place of shelter, and my mussels were weary. As he started to talk he closed his eyes and tilted his head skywards. His voice took on a monotone type of chant as he told me of the path in life.

I quickly fell asleep and heard nothing of what he said. When I awoke I found that he was saying, “For time is the tide that washes us all. Your race is great, but the total of it will bring you what you run for in love.” At this point he lowered his head, opened his eyes and looked at me.

Every part of my brain wanted to tell him that I missed what he said, but I just couldn’t do it. He walked me to his door, hugged me, and sent me on my way. When the door shut and locked I noticed that my wallet was missing.

No comments: