Monday, December 12, 2005

Radio


Hi, and welcome back to WIHS.

Today we’re doing a special salute to rock bands from down under. Yes those beloved Australian bands of the early seventies that became such an important part of rock music.

Today we have in the studio John Lendhim from the band The Hopper.
It’s really great to have you here in the studio today. I must admit that at that time in music I was only four years old and know very little about it.
So John can you tell us a little about yourself?

Why, sure, that I can. Me mates would write a song and I would contribute me own solos ya know. We did some recording, but it was our live shows that were the most memorable. Ya see I played the electric dingo. Once you plug them in they can be a little testy, but when you start to stretch them you can get a lot of different sounds from them, along with many a small flesh wound, that’s how I got this beauty by the way.

It’s not as easy to play the electric dingo as many might think. For one thing you can never get the same sounds from every dingo and they’re even harder to hold after you’ve played them once.

And if you say to someone, “Can you hand me my dingo?” they won’t do it, they’ll ask you about your mental health they will.

When you need a new dingo and you go to the pen to pick one out, they tend to go to the back of the pen and look at ya kind of big eyed. You can’t just try one like you can a guitar in a music shop, its more catch as catch can ya see.

You can’t smash your instruments at the end of a show like The Who did. Even if the law allowed it. They can still run amuck ya see.

(The interview ended at this point by a long period of dead air. Then a song by The Carpenters started to play.)

No comments: